- Food Pantry Week, St Andrews Golf & Country Club
- We Grow Dreams Greenhouse & Garden Center,- new webpage
- Local Businesses Contribute
- UPCOMING EVENTS
During its Food Pantry Week, St Andrews Golf & Country Club collected two large boxes of food and $27 in donations. Golfers received a discount on green fees with the donation of non-perishable food. Also St. Andrews donated $500 to Wayne Township General Assistance Food Pantry and Feeding Northwest DuPage.
State Farm Insurance Company, the agency owned by Dan Jimenez, celebrates its 20the Anniversary. The business is located at 110 Galena Street.
We Grow Dreams Greenhouse & Garden Center, 1055 W. Washington St., has a new webpage, www.wegodreams.org. It is easy to navigate. Features include the listing of names of all the plants the business sells, specialty services, wish list and volunteer opportunities. Using the list of plant names, I was able to make a fairly comprehensive lists of ones I needed/wanted to buy for my garden. The greenhouse is a member of Western DuPage Chamber of Commerce.
John & Tony’s, 27W371 North Ave., now offers Team Trivia night at 7 p.m. Mondays.
Support our local businesses as they not only contribute to the community through taxes, but also donate generously to local clubs, churches, organizations and schools.
- Businesses donating monies for the rental of the big tent and tables for the West Chicago garden Club’s Plant sale were Ball Horticultural Company, Jel-Sert Company, NorthStar Credit Union and Bond Dickson, attorneys at Law.
- Donating to WeGo Run of West Chicago Elementary School District 33 were Dynamic Physical Therapy, DuPage national Bank, Hawthorne’s Backyard Bar & Grill, Scooby’s Red Hots, KinderCare of West Chicago, Jel-Sert company, McDonald’s Restaurant and Starbucks.
Kumon Math and Reading of West Chicago, 946 N. Neltnor Blvd., Unit 108, hosts a Grand Opening/Open House from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, June 9, 2012. The Center Director is Yasmeen Syed. The business offers an academic enrichment program for youths from preschool through 12th grade. It is not a tutoring service. The instructors are “guides helping children along the path to success and self discovery…Our methodology for learning is perfect for children who want to be challenged and for those who need a little extra help catching up.” For further information call 630 277-9299 or at www.kumon.com/west-chicago.
There are centers in 47 countries/ regions with more than 16 million students enrolled worldwide since the company was founded. Toru Kumon, a math teacher, started the company in 1954 in Osaka, Japan. In 1974, the first center outside of Japan opened in 1974.
Western DuPage Chamber of Commerce holds its annual “Swing into Summer” golf outing Tuesday, June 12, at Prairie Landing Golf Course, 2325 Longest Drive. Registration begins at 7:00 a.m. Tee time starts at 8:00 a.m. Banquet and awards is at 2:00 p.m. The fee is $150 per individual, $600 for a foursome and $50 for banquet only. The registration form is online at the chamber website www.westerndupagechamber.com. For further information, call the chamber office at (630) 231-3003.
Cantigny Park, 1S151 Winfield Road in Wheaton, Has a variety of activities scheduled for June.
- Vintage Baseball tournaments are played at 1 p.m. Sundays, June 10, and June 28 on the parade Field. The round-robin games are played by the rules of 1858.
- “Art in Bloom Fine Art Festival is from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, June 17. In addition to the juried art show, there are activities, crafts, demonstrations, live music and food.
- A Father’s Day Brunch is at the Red Oak Room at Cantigny Golf, 27W270 Mack Road. Seating times are at 10 a.m., 12:30 and 3 p.m. The price is $38.95 for adults, $36.95 for senior citizens, $16.95 for children ages 4 to 10 and free for children under the age of three. Reservations are required and may be made by calling 630 260-8194.
- Movies in the Park are at 8:30 p.m. at the Visitors Center. The movie “Toy Story 3” is Thursday, June 21 and “How to Eat Fried Worm” is Thursday, June 28.
Cantigny is a member of Western DuPage Chamber of Commerce.
Professional Development Services and Training Plus in partnership with Western DuPage Chamber of Commerce have a series of programs to help businesses build strong leadership skills with continuous improvement for “top performance” employees. The sessions are from 8 to 11 a.m. in the chamber-training center, 306 Main Street.
- The final session of Level 1, “Make Meetings Valuable: The Power to Get Things Done,” is Wednesday, June 13. The charge is $59 for members and $69 for non-members.
- The last session for Level 2 is Thursday, June 14. The topic is “Juggling Your Priorities-Part 2” and focuses on establishment of an agenda, action taken and follow up. The cost is $69 for members and $79 for non-members.
To register, call Lolly Frederick at 630 945-5805 or email email@example.com.
St. Andrews Golf Course & Country Club, 2241 Route 59, offers Thursday Night Live on the Lawn from 6:30 to 9 p.m. starting June 14 and ending August 2. Hours are 6:30 to 9 p.m. Featured are live music and drink specials.
Hawthorne’s Backyard Bar &Grill, 1200 W. Hawthorne Lane, now has Whiffle Ball Leagues. A fundraiser for the Breast Cancer Foundation is from noon to 6 p.m. Saturday, June 23. A Summerfest fundraiser for West Chicago resident Mark Seidler is at 3 p.m. Sunday, June 24. He has cancer. For information call 630 203-6700. The restaurant is a member of Western DuPage Chamber of Commerce.
This monthly column covers information on new businesses, change of business locations, awards received by businesses, new offerings of products and/or services and recognition of employees receiving awards and promotions. The publishing date is usually the last Wednesday of the month.
Businesses with “highlights” to share can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The author does not allow comments to this entry